CLUB BACKGROUND AND HISTORY
The club of origin, The U.S. Stamp Club was founded in the early part of 1947. The club met at the office of William Naff's Georgia Stamp & Coin Company. The primary purpose of the club was to bring members together on Saturday afternoons for a stamp auction at the stamp shop. This arrangement prevented the need for a license or licensed auctioneer.The name of the club was changed to its current name to signify the inclusion of collectors of foreign stamps in the membership. In the 1950's the meeting place was changed to Dr. Fowler's office on 8th Street where meetings were to be held for the next twelve years. Other meeting places have included the NBG Building at Pershing Point, the Red Cross Building at 7th and Peachtree Street, the First United Methodist Church of Atlanta at 360 Peachtree Street, All Saints' Episcopal Church at 634 West Peachtree Street, and currently the Ponce de Leon Branch of the Atlanta-Fulton Public Library at 980 Ponce de Leon Avenue.
Stamp collectors of all ages, interests, and expertise are cordially invited to join the Atlanta Stamp Collectors Club. The ASCC is the oldest philatelic organization in Georgia and has a membership of about 60 with interests ranging from general worldwide to classic United States to single countries including, the Bahamas, Great Britain, and Nicaragua.
The club meets in downtown Atlanta to chat informally, hold a brief business meeting, and conduct an auction of members' philatelic materials. In addition, a presentation on a stamp collecting topic is given at least every other meeting. Regardless of collecting interests, participation in ASCC meetings is a pleasant and efficient way to increase knowledge of philately and to acquire new material. The club auction is the highlight of each meeting and offers many items of interest at low prices. This is an excellent opportunity to acquire new material, and to dispose of duplicates. Membership is $12 a year (prorated), which includes a subscription to the club's monthly newsletter, Postmark Atlanta.