How to Start an Art Collection: Five Quick Tips
Views : 1854
Many experienced collectors started their art collections by buying easily recognizable works of famous authors, but at an affordable price. However, there are a number of factors, which should be considered first. You need to trust your own taste, be aware of trends, and only then think about the effectiveness of your investments. Here are 5 quick tips for those who want to collect art, but do not know where to start.
1. When choosing some work, you should always listen to yourself and choose what inspires you and resonates with your inner world. Trends change all the time, and interesting collections are almost always formed based on the collector’s personal passion.
2. Always study the provenance of a work. You need to know the whole history behind it and understand if there are any gaps or vague spots in it.
3. Before buying a canvas, pay particular attention to its quality and details. Examine the possible defects.
4. Get it framed right. You should remember that the content of an artwork is more important than such details as its frame. Nevertheless, keep in mind that a mount should match the paper color.
5. Before buying a painting or some other piece of art, find out what place this work has in the artist's career. Do not be shy to seek information or advice from auction house experts to get the most reliable information.