Buying Antiques When You’re on a Budget: Quick Tips
Views : 696
Buying antique items is always exciting whether you are an experienced collector or a newbie. However, there can be times when you find yourself on a tight budget but still want to add something to your collection. Here are five tips to help you spend your money wisely.
1. Understand rarity. You should keep in mind that items produced in a limited amount will always be more valuable than those available in large quantities. So, think twice before purchasing something mass-produced.
2. Research item’s provenance. Before buying something antique, check its history of ownership to ensure there are no vague spots in it. You should always make sure the item is genuine.
3. Buy items “in the rough”. This way, you will always get what you have paid for. Later on, you will be able to track all the restoration work yourself.
4. Bargain wisely. It is always better to ask for a multiple item discount than to bargain with a dealer to get a lower price for a single item. Try to think strategically.
5. Request additioal information/images if needed. If you feel that the images and description provided are not exhaustive, ask the dealer to provide additional information. You should know what you’re buying, so always examine the inside and undersides of an item to ensure there’s no damage or imperfections.